Conservation Summer Naturalist Intern- Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center (up to 3 positions)
$12.50 - $/hour
Each 12-week position will run approximately May 22 through August 18, 2023 and will offer opportunities to actively participate in environmental education (EE), public information, nature interpretation activities and habitat management. The summer naturalist(s) may assume assigned tasks of increasing responsibility.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive.
Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist the staff naturalists with planning and conducting nature interpretation and EE program activities for a wide range of audiences
- Plan and conduct summer day camps
- Plan and conduct public education programs and special events
- Assist with nature center exhibit maintenance and animal care
- Assist with habitat management such as prairie shrub removal and trail work
- Participate with publicity and public informational activities as assigned
- Assist with center host duties as assigned
- Maintain working relationships with other employees and the public
- Provides assistance with a variety of duties within scope of responsibility assigned by County Conservation Naturalist
- Attendance is required
Shift: The summer naturalist(s) will work no more than 40 hours per work week
(non-routine including some weekends, evenings and holidays).
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
Minimum Education and Experience Required to Perform Essential Functions:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Must possess a current, valid driver's license and insurance
- Ability to get to and from the work-site
- Ability to use hand and small power tools
- Ability to work in extreme environmentally rigorous situations (heat, humidity, steep terrain)
- Candidate must pass physical and drug screening tests prior to employment for Woodbury County.
- Candidate must pass background check in refer to their driving record, criminal history, and child abuse registry.
A completed Woodbury County job application form, cover letter and resume are required.
Deadline for receipt of applications shall be 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, February 8, 2023.Woodbury County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will consider reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the Employer.