What is an "ag dwelling", and why do I get a separate tax bill for it?

An ag dwelling is a residence that sits on land classified as agricultural, such as a house on a 40-acre tract of farmland.  Iowa law requires the value of the house to be taxed as residential property, while the value of the farmland is taxed as agricultural property.