Conservation Park Maintenance Worker- Seasonal
$12.25 - $/hour
SummaryENTRY SALARY: $12.25/hour (Seasonal-Approx. 120 days)
The seasonal, temporary positions are available at various Woodbury County parks. Positions will typically start mid-May. The positions will be involved with all aspects of park and wildlife area general maintenance, assisting with light construction projects from time to time. This position is under the direct authority of County Conservation Area Resource Manager.
Essential FunctionsEssential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assists with general maintenance of county parks and wildlife areas including grounds maintenance, mowing and trimming, litter pickup, cleaning grills and restroom/shower facilities, painting, tree trimming, weed control and fencing.
- Operates a variety of hand tools, power tools, equipment and vehicles after proper training
- Interacts with park visitors, provides assistance and information
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Attendance is required.
- Provides assistance with a variety of duties within scope of responsibility assigned by County Conservation Area Resource Manager.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the County. Ability to read and understand legal descriptions, policies, and procedures. Able by voice communications to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw or interpret graphs. Knowledge of basic principles. Knowledge of legislative requirements. Knowledge of County procedures.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to set priorities regarding assignments and follow through to completion; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Ability to skillfully and safely operate and maintain a wide variety of equipment and tools; chain saws, ladders, heavy equipment, office machines, computer, etc., knowledge of computer skills to effectively operate Microsoft Office software.
Satisfactory driving record and possession of a valid driver’s license.
Ability to successfully complete all pre-employment requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
Additional Physical Requirements:
This is a physically demanding position requiring the ability to lift at least 50 pounds on a frequent basis and to use considerable force frequently to move objects; work requires digital dexterity, fingering, grasping and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required to express or exchange ideas by means of spoken words; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of tools and equipment, determining accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; worker will be exposed to adverse and extreme environmental conditions.
Possession of a current valid driver's license. Ability to routinely lift 50 pounds, perform physical labor in all types of weather conditions, and be exposed to dust, fumes and loud noises. Ability to operate mowers, power and hand tools.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED.A degree or studying for a degree in a natural resources related field preferred
- A degree or studying for a degree in a natural resources related field preferred. Experience with operating tractors, mowers, tools, construction equipment, etc. preferred. Ability to communicate effectively with park visitors. Minimum 18 years of age. Must pass drug test, physical screening questionnaire and background check after offer of hire.
- Experience with operating tractors, mowers, tools, construction equipment, etc. preferred.
- Candidate for hire must successfully pass a background check , a physical examination, vision, back screen and drug screen prior to employment.