Juvenile Detention PT Youth Worker- MALE
$20.89 - $/hour
ENTRY SALARY: $20.89/hour (Plus Partial Benefits) Part-time approximately 16 hrs./wk
Responsible and accountable as a Youth Worker for the daily care, personal guidance, and recreational programs for juveniles, ages 13-17; help establish and maintain detention care life and standards; and assists with counseling, guidance, and evaluation of juveniles pursuant to regulations established in the Iowa Administrative Code under the direct authority of County Juvenile Detention Director and County Assistant Juvenile Detention Director.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responsible for receiving juveniles at the facility and determining acceptability
- Responsible for obtaining necessary/pertinent information regarding alleged offenses
- Will take an active part in the screening of juveniles to determine their acceptability and disposition at the facility
- Prepares records on each admission and notifies and advises parents or guardian, caseworker, intake officer, D.H.S. worker, lawyer, relevant agencies and significant others as to the procedures and process of the facility
- Will be responsible for orienting juveniles, parents, workers, lawyers, concerned agencies and significant others as to the policies, procedures and functions of the facility
- Advises the relevant parties as to the action that will be taken with the individual juvenile
- Responsible and accountable for providing a safe and secure environment for those juveniles detained
- Youth Worker directly supervises the security of all juveniles, assisting juveniles with their behavioral, emotional, medical and programming needs
- Responsible for coordinating activities at different levels within the facility, the judicial/juvenile court system, the juvenile resource system and the law enforcement system
- Will assist with coordinating appointments, court dates, transportation and communication between the juvenile workers, and system resources
- Will make behavioral observations and record them in the daily logs and the juvenile's files
- Will utilize behavior management skills including discipline and rewards at appropriate times
- Will interact with the juveniles on a one to one basis in counseling situations and juvenile total group situation
- Will implement the Daily Living Program and supervise the juveniles therein throughout the day in all areas of the Daily Living Program
- Will assist the juveniles in recognizing and maintaining good personal hygiene skills
- Will be aware of the juveniles medical and special needs and coordinate activities in these areas and be responsible for the completion of these duties and records
- Will assist with ordering meals, meal preparation and serving meals as well as snacks when appropriate. Will also assist and supervise the clean up after meal times
- Will assist with and supervise the daily cleanup and maintenance of the Facility
- Responsible for being knowledgeable of all laws and rules governing juvenile detention and receiving
- Must be knowledgeable of the Iowa Juvenile Code (chapter 232) and the Iowa Code as it applies to the Facility
- Must be knowledgeable of the various segments of the juvenile court and resource system including intake, D.H.S., probation/parole, youth serving agencies, and other components that make up the total system
- Will be responsible for being familiar with security measures as they apply to the Facility
- Will be responsible for becoming familiar with and implementing the policies and procedures of the facility as set forth by the Facility Handbook, and the Facility Director
- Will be familiar with basic counseling skills and techniques including good listening and communication skills
- Perform various other County Juvenile Detention related tasks/assignments/special projects as directed by the County Juvenile Detention Director and/or County Assistant Juvenile Detention Director
- Attendance is required.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
Minimum Education and Experience Required to Perform Essential Functions:
- A copy of H.S. or College Diploma is required
- Graduation from an accredited high school with two (2) years of college and a minimum of one (1) year of experience in working with juveniles in a facility or the community, or a combination of the above with substitution on a year for year basis
- Ability to train and instruct personnel
- Be physically capable of performing the duties expected of a Youth worker and be free of infectious and communicable diseases. Both of the above physical requirements will need to be verified by a report signed by a physician.
- Preference will be given to those that have existing knowledge of the Iowa Juvenile Code, Iowa Legal Code and counseling skills. Must possess the personal maturity to maintain equilibrium under unusual stress or social interaction pressure
- Candidate for hire must pass a mandatory child abuse/adult abuse and criminal history check, a physical examination, vision, back screen and drug screen prior to formal offer of employment.
A County application form, a resume and a copy of high school or college diploma or transcripts are required.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS:
4:30 p.m., Monday January 2, 2023 or Until position filled.
Woodbury County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will consider reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the Employer.