$67,371.00 - $113,311.00/year
Woodbury County benefits include: IPERS, Health Ins with $250/Ded; Free Dental, Life & LTD Ins; Sick leave benefits, Vacation, 10 paid Holidays and 2 Personal Days, 1 week of vacation available upon hire and $1500 bonus after 1 year Anniversary!
SALARY RANGE: $67, 371 to $113,311, $1500 Bonus after 1 year Anniversary, and 1 week of Vacation upon hire (Plus Benefits) (Based on Experience)
A juvenile prosecutor is responsible and accountable for the efficient and effective prosecution of juvenile delinquency cases, including misdemeanor and felony crimes in Woodbury County, Iowa; Child in Need of Assistance proceedings; and Termination of Parental Rights proceedings.
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Reviews police reports and communicates effectively with law enforcement, victims, witnesses, and Juvenile Court Officers in order to make appropriate charging decisions.
- Assists law enforcement in criminal investigations both during business hours and after hours.
- Reviews child abuse intakes and assessments as well as child welfare reports and communicates effectively with Child Protective Services investigators, social workers, victims, and witnesses in order to make appropriate filing decisions.
- Exercises good judgment in the disposition of cases consistent with justice, public safety, the well-being of children, victims, and applicable law.
- Conducts legal research to prepare pleadings, motions, briefs, and in preparation for hearings and for trial.
- Appears in Juvenile Courts for all proceedings including contested and uncontested hearings, various motion hearings, and trials.
- Prepares and takes cases to trial.
- Assists all professional and support staff as needed.
- Performs various other duties relating to scope of responsibility as assigned by the County Attorney.
- Attendance in the office is required.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
- Must be licensed by the Iowa Supreme Court to practice law in the State of Iowa or (b) have received the degree of J.D. or LL.B, from a law school fully approved by the A.B.A., and take and pass the next available Iowa Bar Exam and Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam and immediately thereupon be admitted to practice law in the State of Iowa or (c) be eligible for admission to the practice of law in Iowa pursuant to Iowa Court Rule 111 and be admitted to practice law in Iowa pursuant to the rule within 120 days of appointment as an Assistant County Attorney.
- Must have integrity and be of good moral character and fitness.
- Must possess knowledge of the general principles of the Iowa Code, Criminal Procedure and Rules of Evidence.
- Must possess a solid ability for legal research and writing.
- Must be an effective communicator.
- Must be hard working, driven, and self-motivated but also must be able to work as part of a team.
- Must be professional in appearance and demeanor.
- Candidate for hire must successfully pass a background check, physical examination, vision, back screen and drug screen prior to employment.
ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION OTHERWISE THE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE FORWARDED.
A completed County Application Form and Resume are required. DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Until position is filled. Woodbury County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will consider reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the Employer.