Legal Secretary III Fine Collections
$22.08 - $/hour
SummaryWoodbury County benefits include: IPERS, Health Ins with $250/Ded, Free Dental, Life & LTD Insurance, Sick leave benefits, Vacation, 10 paid holidays and 2 Personal Days!
ENTRY SALARY: $ 22.08/ hour (Plus Benefits)
Under general supervision of an attorney, performs legal work assigned including answering phones and filing, specializing in fine collection.
- Review applications to determine eligibility to determine whether a person qualifies to be on a county attorney payment plan in accordance with set office guidelines. File the necessary paperwork with the Clerk of Court.
- Verify information on applications if necessary, prepare payment plans, meet with applicants to go over payment plans and all requirements.
- Monitor changes to laws/regulations relevant to the fine collection program and speak with the County Attorney to request to update the guidelines/policies.
- Maintain records to verify and ensure compliance with the payment plan. File revocations of payment plans as necessary in accordance with the guidelines. Send collection letters for delinquent fines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Candidate for hire must successfully pass a background check, physical exam and drug screening prior to employment.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
Minimum Education and Experience Required to Perform the Essential Functions:
- Possess High School diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED)
- Good knowledge of basic secretarial skills including typing, transcription, computer skills, recordkeeping and filing, scanning and electronically filing
- Computer skills (including computer using Word and Excel)
- Ability to learn County software
- General knowledge of legal terminology
- Ability to type accurately with a minimum of 40 words per minute (net score)
- Ability to communicate with others in a tactful and courteous manner by means of clearly spoken English, etc.
- Basic knowledge of Associate District Court and County District Court procedures.
- Needs to be fluent in English for the effective performance of the position.
- Candidate for hire must successfully pass a background check , a physical examination, vision, back screen and drug screen prior to employment.