New to Iowa?

 To register your vehicle in Iowa, you will need:

  • Your out-of-state title or your out-of-state registration and
  • Completed and signed application for certificate of Iowa title and/or registration (Form 411007) by all owners. 

* Please note, if you plan on transferring your motor vehicle records, there is no appointment needed unless you are processing four (4) or more titles.

Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle within the county that you reside within 30 days of the date you establish residency.  Iowa registration is required even though you still have valid license plates in another state.   You would contact your previous state for the best way to dispose of their license plates.  

If you are providing an out-of-state registration or your out-of-state title, you will be required to obtain an Iowa title if /when you sell the vehicle in Iowa.  You should transfer your title to Iowa once you receive your out-of-state title from the leinholder. If your title is at a lienholder, you may contact them to notify them of your change of residency and request the title be mailed to us for updating.  You can always wait until the vehicle is paid in full and bring the title in at that time. 

Fees are as follows:

  • Iowa Title Fee = $25.00
  • Iowa Lien Fee = $10.00
  • Iowa Registration = Variable.  
    In Iowa, vehicle rates are based on make, model, year, weight and list price.  However, vehicles that are 12 years or older are generally a flat rate of $50/year (with a few exceptions). You may call or email our office with the VIN of your vehicle to verify the annual fee. 

Is this a leased vehicle? If your vehicle is a leased vehicle, the lessee will need to complete the application for certificate of title and/or registration for a leased vehicle (Iowa DOT Form 411179) to receive plates and registration. 


Stay Connected with Our County

Sign up to receive notifications when board meeting agendas are posted, job openings are announced, and more.